What can I set out?
- YES newspapers & inserts
- YES magazines & catalogs
- YES junk mail & envelopes
- YES office paper (any color)
- YES corrugated cardboard boxes (cardboard with the wavy center when torn)
- YES cereal, soda, tissue boxes and other paperboard packaging that tears brown or grey
- YES paper towel and toilet paper cores
- YES paper bags & phone books
- YES aluminum beverage cans (beer & soda)
- YES metal food and beverage cans (tin/steel), metal food lids
- YES clear, brown, and green glass bottles and jars (food and drink only)
- YES plastic bottles, jugs, and jars (such as soda, water, milk, juice, liquor, shampoo, detergent, condiments, salad dressings, etc.)
What can't I set out?
- NO ceramics, dishes, coffee mugs, or drinking glasses
- NO glass cookware (Pyrex, Vision Ware, etc.)
- NO window glass, mirrors, or light bulbs
- NO plastic bags, Styrofoam containers, or packaging peanuts
- NO take out containers, plastic cups, or plastic table ware
- NO food soiled materials
- NO tissues, paper towels (cores ok)
- NO egg cartons
- NO books
- NO paper cartons for milk or juice
- NO Tyvek envelopes
- NO carbon paper
- NO wax coated boxes or paper
- NO coat hangers
- NO household appliances
- NO Medical Waste ( includes sharps and needles)
How should I prepare my recyclables?
- All of your recyclables can be mixed together. No sorting is required.
- To ensure obtaining the maximum capacity of each container, cardboard should be flattened and plastic bottles, aluminum cans, and steel cans should be crushed, if possible.
- DO NOT tie or bind any recyclables(s), including newspaper and cardboard.
- NO plastic bags whatsoever. Plastic bags are detrimental to the sorting equipment. If you collect your recyclables in plastic bags, you must remove the recyclables from the plastic bags before depositing in the containers.
- Recyclable containers (plastic, glass, steel, aluminum) should be empty and rinsed clean. Remove all plastic caps and discard. Metal lids should be removed but kept with the recyclables. Recyclable paper should be dry and clean.
- DO NOT place or leave recyclables outside of the containers.
- DO NOT leave behind trash or litter.
- DO NOT try to recycle items that are not accepted.
If you are unsure about an item, contact the Township Office.
Southampton Township Office 200 Airport Road Shippensburg, Pa 17257